The horny goat weed may have a funny sounding name but users worldwide can attest to the fact that the herb can live up to its name by restoring sexual wellness for both men and women. The horny goat weed or Epimedium, the scientific name of the herb, is a natural aphrodisiac that has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for thousands of years now.
If you are suffering from erectile dysfunction or other sexual problems and you are looking for an alternative medication then it is ideal to get to know some of the most important facts about the horny goat weed.
These facts will help you come up with an intelligent decision before you use the herb.
1.The horny goat weed is prevalently used in China and in Asia Even before the Western World has gotten wind of the plant magic known as the horny goat herb, the Asians particularly the Chinese have stored the herb in their chests for over 2000 years already. The herb is known in the Chinese world as Yin Yang Huo and is being used to heal people with sexual problems and to bring back the sexual spark for those who have lost it along the way. And because it has testosterone-like effect, the horny goat weed can also increase sperm production.
2. The horny goat weed is sourced from plant leaves The horny goat weed is scientifically known as Epimedium. It can be found in areas with high altitudes like cliffs and hillsides and is prevalent in Asian countries like Korea, Japan and China. The plant from which the horny goat weed is sourced has multicoloured flowers so it is natural to see these plants with white, red, light yellow and violet flowers. The leaves can contain as many as three leaves and the horny goat weed is sourced from these leaves.
3. Look for standardizes supplements The plant from which the horny goat weed is sourced grows abundantly in some parts of Asia and in the Mediterranean and anyone can just get the herbs and take them as tea or in the unprocessed form. However, if you are not a resident of these areas then the wisest thing to do is to buy horny goat weed supplements which are in the capsule or tablet form. The best supplements are those that contain 500 milligrams of the herb and with 10% of the substance icariin, the same substance found in erectile dysfunction drugs.
4. The horny goat weed has side effects but is still safer than commercial drugs Just like the other drugs, the horny goat weed has some negative effects but it is still considered generally safer than the commercial erectile dysfunction drugs. What makes the horny goat and the erectile dysfunction drugs ais the PDE
5. However, the horny goat weed contains lesser amount of PDE5 than the commercial drugs reducing the risk of heart attack, vision loss and even death. The horny goat weed is known for minor side effects like insomnia and an increased heart rate. However, an over dosage of the herb can result to vomiting and nose-bleed.
6. The horny goat weed is also effective in treating other illnesses The horny goat weed may be more popular for promoting sexual wellness it is also effective in treating other illness like kidney and liver disorders, back and joint pains. Studies made on the efficacy of the horny goat weed shows that it is also effective in combating tiredness and in helping patients with chronic renal failure.
The horny goat weed has a lot of potential in the medical world and further studies on the healing effects of the herb can benefit more people in the long run.